New Member Spotlight: Bethany Schutte, CPA
- What do you enjoy outside of work? I enjoy playing and watching sports and traveling. I play pickleball year around and volleyball in the summer.
- What do you enjoy doing with your Family and Friends? Travel! Last summer I went to NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago for a mini vacations with friends.
- Personal goals you are working on right now? Working on paying down my student debt so that I can start saving more.
Tell us a little about your professional life:
- What is your professional role? What organization are you part of? I am a contracted Controller with a specialty in healthcare. I work for CustomOne CFO & Controllers under Doug Strawn. My main client is Millennium Rehab & Consulting. They provide physical, occupational, and speech therapy throughout the state, primarily within long-term-care facilities.
- What brought you into Healthcare and what do you enjoy about it? I was put on the healthcare audit team when I worked at McGladrey (now RSM). I found the revenue recognition and complexity interesting. In addition to that, my older sister is a family practice doctor, and hearing her thoughts keeps me interested and engaged in the business of healthcare.
- Professional goals you are working on right now? I want to deepen my knowledge and expertise and possibly get involved in consulting outside of my current position.
- How did you first become interested in Iowa HFMA? I came across an advertisement for the conference in Denver last fall and went to that conference. I find the literature valuable (although I wish that there were more resources for accounting/business functions outside of just the hospital setting).
- What do you want to get from this community? Knowledge, real world examples, networking, and CPE credits.
- How do you see Healthcare changing in the future?Technology is going to play an increasing role. I hope that we will see more competition within the insurance market place. I think more healthcare will be delivered in non-traditional settings and from PAs and NPs.