Advance Your Career as a
Certified Healthcare Financial Professional ~
Get Your CHFP from HFMA
By Joseph Abel, CPCC, ACC, PhD
Impressive job skills are no longer enough to land a job with smart employers or to ensure a promotion. Employers want value-drivers.
Value-drivers are people with the capacity to continuously learn, develop new skills, and adapt to the dynamic business needs of the continuously evolving health-care industry. This type of employee understands the business context and consequently sniffs out opportunity, provokes thought, and helps shape innovation. Technical depth, breadth of perspective, and the inquisitiveness to search out new business approaches are the foundations for this value-driving work style.
HFMA’s Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP) is intended to build this highly prized value - driving work style. The CHFP:
- Is a learning program;
- Presents the business context in which health operates;
- Builds comprehensive, multidisciplinary perspective on the pressing mandate to improve value in health care through clinical cooperation.
The CHFP is a value-driving certification in that certified healthcare finance professionals can take on a value-driving work-style characterized by:
- Business Awareness – The ability to recognize the business implications of information presented to them;
- Business Understanding – Thinking with the big picture, the business context at play;
- Creativity – The readiness to explore potential new business initiatives;
- Engagement – Getting into action; bringing new ideas to life to create value and growth;
- Smart employees – People who not only see the need to be value-driving employees, but also commit to building that value-driving work style.
The Value-Driving Equation:
Value-Driving finance professional = (professional skills and experience) X CHFP
The program consists of two modules:
1) HFMA’s Business of Health Care course and
2) Operational Excellence: Pursuing Strategy.
The program is entirely online, self-contained and self-paced. The CHFP designation is achieved by the successful completion of both modules. A downloadable learner’s Concept Guide is available with the course and many HFMA chapters provide CHFP preparation assistance. The CHFP program is easy to access on HFMA’s website, simple to use and brings the business knowledge needed today into one place.
More details can be found here: www.hfma.org/CHFP.
Joseph Abel is HFMA’s Director of Career Services